The North Carolina State Bar is the state agency responsible for regulating the practice of law in North Carolina. This website, along with the North Carolina State Bar Journal, is a place to:
- Learn more about the regulation of the legal profession in North Carolina
- Review proposed ethics opinions and proposed amendments to the rules and regulations of the State Bar
- Research the existing rules, regulations and ethics opinions of the State Bar
- Catch up on the latest news and information from the State Bar
- Getting started - not sure where to find the information you need? Start with our State Bar Staff Contacts page.
- Separate website with information for nonlawyers
Consent Judgment in Litigation Between North Carolina State Bar and LegalZoom.com
On October 22, 2015, the North Carolina Business Court entered a Consent Judgment in litigation between the North Carolina State Bar and LegalZoom.com, Inc., Wake County Superior Court file no. 11 CVS 15111. Read more
Order Your Copy of the 2016 Lawyer's Handbook
Submit this form by March 18, 2016, to reserve your copy. The digital version will still be available online for free.
February Bar Exam Applicants
The most recent edition of the Journal included a list of applicants for the February 2016 bar exam. However, the information provided was actually the list of those who passed the July 2015 bar exam. Click here to view the list of exam applicants.
Email Fraud Alert
Last week, the Bar received multiple reports of fraudulent activity relating to wired funds in real estate transactions, with losses as high as $200,000. Click here to read more.
Cy Pres/Unpaid Residuals in Class Action Litigation in North Carolina
According to NC statute, the unpaid residuals in class action litigation (unless otherwise ordered by the court) shall be divided and sent equally to the NC State Bar for the provision of civil legal services for indigents and to the Indigent Person’s Attorney Fund, N.C.G.S. §1-267.10. Effective October 1, 2005, the statute applies to causes of action that arise on or after that date.
The State Bar has asked NC IOLTA to administer the funds sent to the State Bar for civil legal aid. Those funds should be sent to: NC IOLTA, PO Box 25996, Raleigh, NC 27611-5996.
More information can be found on the IOLTA website.
Office of Counsel Annual Report
2014 Annual Report
News and Information